- Prioritize activity: Changing your mindset towards looking for opportunities to move first and foremost. Have a quick inventory of indoor and outdoor possibilities
- Sign children up for an active course or sport.
- If your child has nothing going on immediately after school – spend at least 30 minutes playing in the park.
- Have a soccer ball/basketball and other sporting equipment in your trunk at all times to be ready for a spontaneous game of soccer/hoops.
- Limit screen time: The less screen time the more time your children have to be active.
- Vary the stimulus – encourage climbing, crawling, jumping and running.
- Maximize your indoor time: Have a “commercial challenge” where you play active games or have a wii sport or kinex contest. Or throw on some music and have a danceparty!
- Maximize your weekends! Spend more time engaged in activity.
Be mixing structured and unstructured activity, your children will benefit greatly physically and psychologically and intellectually. Don’t be overly concerned about precision and exact time – rather just look for and create opportunities to move for you and your children.
If you are in the Vancouver area and looking for programs for your children, contact me.