Dietary gurus and Stupid Comparisons
In the never-ending peeing contest between training and dietary ideologies, one trend that makes me shake my head is the “extreme comparison” arguments. They look something like this;
The Top 5 Diet Book Lies
I know, I know – it’s SHOCKING that anybody would stretch the truth to sell something. The diet book section of book stores, however, tends to be a hotbed of BS when it comes to half-truths, mistruths and flat out lies. Here are the top 5 lies that just about every diet book is guilty of.
It’s been waaayyy too long! I hope to get some more regular blogging in once my schedule settles down a bit. Okay, it won’t and I’ll just have to MAKE more time for it!
In the meantime, I’ll link you to 5 things I think you should check out – some of them my Diet Blog articles and others are things that I think you’ll find informative/entertaining.
- Gwyneth Paltrow has bones like “Mr. Glass”: Not eating and avoiding the sun gives you brittle bones! This one sparked quite a debate between yours truly and someone who thought a) I was mean, b) higher protein intakes would make your kidneys spontaneously combust and c) ketosis is caused by high protein diets and is dangerous.
- Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation: Super-duper smart guy James Krieger pens this outstanding 2-part (so far) series of how insulin became the red-headed step-child of weight regulation and why this concept is largely a steaming heap of ostrich poop. You can also read part II here.
- Fit Marker: Friend and colleague JCD and partner-in-unapologetic knowledge bombs FitJerk founded a revolutionary hub where you can access the best of the best of training, nutrition and health information.
- The Truth about Alcohol, Fat Loss and Muscle Growth: Martin Berkhan: Swedish for common sense. Berkhan delves deep into the science and practicality of alcohol intake and its impact on fat loss and muscle.
- Should Obese People be Given a Handicap Parking?: Another pot-stirring piece courtesy of my fellow Diet-Blogger Ted Kallimer. A fascinating debate, indeed!
Hope you enjoy the bits!
The "Bro" Salad
Let’s be honest here, salads don’t exactly scream masculinity…. Until now. Armed with a roasted chicken, some greens and a surge of testosterone, I set out to make the ultimate “bro” salad. It was simple to prepare, tasty, super-nutritious and surprisingly filling. Here’s how it breaks down;
2-3 Cups of greens (I used spinach)
4oz. of shredded chicken (pre-roasted – mostly breast)
2oz. of cubed mozzarella cheese
½ an avocado